To hunt with a firearm, you must obtain your Hunter's Certificate. This certificate is obtained upon the successful completion of the following two courses :
- Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) offered in a classroom
- Introduction to Hunting with Firearms (IHF) offered online - A limited number of classroom courses are offered (see classroom courses schedule)
You will need a Hunter's Certificate coded F to apply to the RCMP for a Firearms Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). This license is mandatory for the purchase, possession and transportation of a firearm.
Online course that can be completed in one or more sessions, depending on your pace and your availability.
- Course duration: 5 hours (approximately)
- Cost: $49,34 (including taxes) includes an electronic textbook
CFSC in classroom
- WEARING THE FACE MASK IS MANDATORY FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS, UNDER PENALTY OF SEEING ACCESS TO THE COURSE REFUSED.
Note that no face mask will be available on the course site : each participant must bring their own.
- Duration: 10 hours
- Cost: $ 94.50 (including taxes) with the digital manual and exams
Not available at the moment (In very few specific cases, the following courses could be offered in class):
- Duration: 7 hours
- Cost: $ 49.34 (including taxes) with the digital manual
CFSC and IHF offered jointly on 2 consecutive days
- Duration: 2 lessons of 10 and 7 hours respectively
- Cost: $ 143.84 (including taxes) includes, for each course, an electronic textbook and both exams (theoretical and practical CFSC)
To register for these courses, you must be at least 12 years old (the day of the first course), be domiciled in Quebec and have resided in the province for at least 183 days during the last year. A photo ID will be required during the courses.
The Hunter's Certificate coded F obtained as a result of these courses is necessary to complete an application for a Possession and acquisition licence (PAL) without restriction (essentially long guns for hunting).
We strongly suggest that you book your courses in advance to ensure availability and be ready in time for your hunting season! In addition, Sécurité nature reminds you to allow 3 to 4 weeks following your courses before receiving your certification.
Equivalent courses for the hunter's certificate with firearms obtained elsewhere in Canada are now accepted. To obtain your hunter's certificate, you must submit a certificate or proof of competence issued by the province or territory concerned to the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs. For more information and to make your request, contact the MFFP.
It is not possible to take the CSFC and IHF courses during the cancellation period of a hunter's certificate.
Likewise, it is not possible to take the CSFC course under a firearms prohibition order. To take the course, you must wait until the interdiction period is over.
If you take these courses during any of these periods, they will not be recognized and you will not be reimbursed. You will have to take the courses again and pay the corresponding fees at the end of the cancellation or prohibition order period.
The digital manuals are available to you at all times for reference.Cours canadien de sécurité dans le maniement des armes à feu Initiation à la chasse avec arme à feu Canadian Firearms Safety Course Introduction to hunting with firearms